Re: [xml-dev] Schemaless XML?

The question as provided presumes some intrinsic value to the use of
schemas. But there is none.

Schemas are a convenience that enable useful things: validation (when
validation is a requirement), directed authoring (when content is
authored), defaulting of attributes (when omitting attributes is
convenient for some reason), imposing more precise datatyping on
attributes and content (which doing so is useful).

But none of these values are either mandatory or all that interesting in
the general context of processing heterogeneous content that will require
some degree of manual configuration to be able to understand and process
usefully. That configuration cannot, in the general case, be provided by
any type of XML grammar, so there will always be the need for non-grammar
configuration, e.g., custom code, queries, tool-specific declarative
configuration, mapping declarations, whatever it is.

So it's hard to see how, in the scenario presented grammars of any sort
are a compelling part of the solution. And if by "schema" you specifically
mean XSDs, then absolutely no, not needed, not wanted, not going to add
significant value in this context.

Cheers,

Eliot

--