Re: [xml-dev] 30 years of SGML (ISO 8879)

> I was around, but not in the SGML world!

Young grasshopper (;
(sorry couldn't resist; seriously I appreciate the work
You have done over the years; Your StackOverflow
articles and website, as well as Dave's, Jenni Tennison's,
Dimitri's, and many others, helped me numerous
times with XLST etc. in the past; btw. is the "old guard"
from the SGML times still around here?)

> Would this give both validating and non-validating parsing modes for XML?

Yes, as explained in the other post.

sgmljs uses IMPLYDEF ELEMENT YES by default
(in the absence of an SGML declaration); this means
it will accept wellformed markup only and it will
validate elements to the extent that they are
declared in the DTD (if the instance has a DTD at
all). So this gives a non-validating parsing mode.

When IMPLYDEF ELEMENT NO is activated
in an SGML declaration, then, in addition,
sgmljs will validate element contents against
content models and reject undeclared elements
(and attributes and notations etc.).
So this gives a validating parser.

Also, FEATURES MINIMIZE SHORTTAG STARTTAG NETENABL
(http://sgmljs.net/docs/libsgml-js/Sgmldecl.html#features_minimize_shorttag_starttag_netenabl),
FEATURES OTHER KEEPRSRE, and
FEATURE MINIMIZE EMPTYNRM are influential
for XML processing.

If processing an XML file on the command line,
these settings will be set automatically according to the
filename suffix; if processing an XML stream in
sgml-ua.js (the in-browser SGML parser/processor),
these should be enabled by a HTTP response's
text/xml MIME type.

By default, sgmljs is designed to parse HTML5
with a built-in minimal DTD activated by

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "about:legacy-compat">

containing just element declarations for elements
having EMPTY declared content (so that "missing"
end tags are accepted in HTML, such as in "<meta ...>"
elements); eventually, the built-in DTD should also
contain attribute declarations for HTML5's "boolean"
attributes (such as "<input enabled>" and the few other
cases where HTML5 makes use of MINIMIZE ATTRIB
OMITNAME).