RE: [xml-dev] Why the double escape for lt ? (that is <!ENTITY lt "&#38;#60;"> )

Hi David,

The double escaping is needed because the literal entity value of an internal entity is actually parsed twice: once when processing the entity declaration and obtain the entity value, and once when the entity is referenced.

There is an informal explanation here:
https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-entexpand

This means that the value of the entity amp, after a first round of parsing, will be &#38;, and that of the entity lt will be &#60;. When referred to with &amp; or &lt;, the character reference will then be resolved to & and to < in the content.

Without the double escaping, the entity values would already be & and <, meaning that they would be recognized, quoting the spec: "as though it were part of the document at the location the reference was recognized.", i.e., they would be confused with the start of a reference or of a tag. Here is an example of not well-formed document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE foo [

  <!ENTITY bar "&#60;">

]>

<foo>&bar;</foo>

As for the difference of treatment, my mental picture is that a parsed external entity is already looking like an XML document (a fragment), which eliminates the need for the first round of parsing.

My explanations may not use the exact terminology, but I hope I could share my mental picture accurately. :-)

Kind regards,
Ghislain