Re: [xml-dev] Create fake stuff (that’s all you can really do anyway)

This is very wrong in a lot of ways. It's also right that one is usually thinking in terms of some model, and that model may be closer or farther from the reality of nature.

What's off target is the role of an XML schema. What is it you have to do here? Develop a weather model, or construct a schema or interchange of weather information? They are not the same thing. Developing a weather model requires a lot of physics. Developing a model of the information needed to be exchanged requires knowledge about modeling structured information, and a much smaller amount about physics.

I spent several years, on and off, in a similar position working on schemas for (vehicle) traffic information, and I didn't know much about traffic. But we started from preliminary schemas that were already in existence, and worked to correct and improve them (actually, we also had to do ASN.1 <==> XML conversions). Yes, we had to try to do some modeling of traffic so that we could understand how the XML messages supported by the schema would work. And we had some idea of what kinds of information people needed to exchange.

In the case of weather, or weather patterns, the request for a schema wouldn't happen in isolation, divorced from any needs of scientists or meteorologists. If it were, it would be like asking for a specification for a new airplane, but without giving any indication of what the users' requirements were. If that were the case, yes, give up!

Otherwise, take what you get from the users about what they need, and carry on.

TomP