(off topic) Re: [xml-dev] Re: Balisage 2017

[OFF TOPIC]

Hmmm, if you cannot use moral considerations in deciding whether to attend a conference in country X or country Y, when can you use them? I am not convinced that the dangers of being a comic prude and hypocrit (by making pointless responses out of vague umbrage) are worse than the danger of not caring.

My thinking is that America is a democracy (hooray for that), and people, even people of goodwill, act largely out of self interest. So for outsiders to influence America, there needs to be an aggregate realization by US citzens that their self interest will indeed be effected adversely if their government acts in ways repugnant to what friends and neighbours consider hard-won international norms. This is not about punishment, nor antagonism towards America if course, it is to feed information into the democracy.

If outside countries had been stronger in my country (Australia)'s use of child abuse as an instrument of government immigration policy, for example, multiple lives may not have been destroyed. If there had been a concerted effort 'we will not holiday in Australia while there are children behind bars in tropical hellholes without review or processing, being denied prompt medical treatment, watching weekly suicide attempts and men sewing theor lips together'   then the government would have extra pressure on it from the tourism industry. The 'get tough' policies that treat peopke as pawns is noxious, and US needs to avoid my county's success in it. (Supposedly, there are now no children in that kind of detention, btw, after years of govt stalling.)

Regards
Rick

(On the issue of 'solidarity' isnt it the attitude of the Good Samaritan?)