Re: [xml-dev] What are the practical, negative consequences ofthinking that attributes are metadata?

No, but there has been a widely known case of the opposite: treating attributes as data (text).  The example would be html:img/@title or html:img/@alt  for example.  In some markup systems, they want to mark up some internationalization metadata on spans of text, for example to reverse the directionality of the text for BDI (right to left, and left to right):  perfect for mixed content, but cannot be done in attribute values.  (And so, people would use the Unicode BDI characters for this; not necessarily a bad thing.)  There are many other cases where Unicode needs to be augmented with markup, for example to select the correct character variants for Chinese (T&S), Japanese and Korean characters, where the author needs the exact character independent of what Han Unification says and what the document language settings might be.