From: Michael Kay [mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 6:20 PM
To: Costello, Roger L.
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Large class of problems: constrain a bunch of pieces to form a chain

I think those conditions are satisfied by

r.start = A
r.end = C

s1.start = A
s1.end = B

s2.start = B
s2.end = C

s3.start = A
s3.end = C

and I don't think you had that in mind as a valid route (a "single connected chain"). Perhaps your "or" in rules (1) and (2) should be an "exclusive or".

I don't know whether you consider something like A -> B -> C -> B -> D as a valid route. I don't know whether any planes fly such routes but I've certainly been on country bus journeys that followed that pattern. If such routes are legal you may need to revise your rules.