Re: [xml-dev] Seek your recommendation on content for a 3-day classon XML foundations

Hmmm why 3 days. Thats a heck of a long time.

When I have done this I start by correlating to what they should already know. Usually that is HTML so I pick some HTML usually something involving a table, and I ask questions about it.

Then I represent the same information as XML and ask similar questions about it.

I also talk about the landscape of structured and semi-structured data. What makes data structured, what makes it semi-structured what are the different formats that exemplify these categorisations. What happens if you  try to use a structured format to represent semi-structure and vice-versa.

Then with each respective format - what can you do with it and what's available to manipulate it. In my case I was talking to people who knew EDI so compare and contrast.

I would spend time talking about navigating XML with XPath and maybe comparing and contrasting with JSON or EDI formats what you can do.

Those are the basics. There are several niches that could be traversed thereonin.