Re: [xml-dev] Developing open business information exchange documents

Thanks for this interesting read.

As I understand, CTS (not 100% sure about terminology here) models a
component model using UML, and then defines bindings to XML, JSON, EDI
etc. The spec document
(http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/cefact/codesfortrade/CCTS/CCTS_V2-01_Final.pdf)
goes right into an example where postal addresses are being modeled.
But having been involved in a project for modeling international
postal/logistical addresses, I found this to be an area where a
component model is impractical to use.

That's because postal addresses, as written on an envelope, carry a
huge legacy of special notations, concepts and nuances that can only
be conveyed in its conventionally written text form (postal addressing
also contains the problem of naming persons, which in itself is a
culturally diverse topic). In my project, I modeled addresses using
XML/XSD based on terms and concepts of UPU S42 (international postal
union standard, also an ISO affiliate organization). In particular, I
modeled it such that an address (in one of the supported formats)
could be stored/represented as tagged semistructured text, where the
line-oriented address (as would appear on a postal piece) was
optionally tagged with elements such as "postcode", "given name", etc.

I'm writing this because, even though we recently agreed here that XML
isn't designed as a data model format (or didn't we?), I've found
XML/markup (semistructured data) to be a proper representation format
for addresses specifically.

Maybe Roger wants to add this problem (which favours SGML/XML over
other approaches for one) to his ongoing data modeling effort. More
generally, I think there's a place for document-oriented
representation of eg. business transactions; namely, when you receive
and send eg. orders as *documents* and want to store these as-is (for
digitial signing, compliance, or other reasons); in this model, you
establish a business operational view (to use a term from UBL) by
extracting atomic values from documents.