Re: [xml-dev] xml:base and fragments

> On May 4, 2017, at 3:57 PM, Ian Graham <ian.graham@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
> Of course this is so unlike the behavior of the HTML BASE element that someone should go back to the XML Base rec and strip out the entire Abstract:
>
> ("This document proposes a facility, similar to that of HTML BASE, for defining base URIs for parts of XML documents.”)

?

Nothing in the discussion has hinged on any differences between HTML ‘base’
and xml:base; the issue appears to be solely how to interpret section 4.4 of
RFC 3986.  The example we have been using is readily translated into HTML.
Imagine a document at http://example.com/doc.html:

      <head>
        <base href=“http://dictionary.example.com/entries/a.html” >
        …
      </head>
        …
        What resource(s) do we think it identifies?</p>

The documentation of the ‘base’ element I’ve seen seems to make
clear that the link points to http://dictionary.example.com/entries/a.html#apple
and RFC 3986’s definition of URIs and the meaning of relative references
says that the resource identified is found in the current entity and should
be dereferenced without a new retrieval action.

Perhaps I’m missing something, though; can you explain what
differences you think you see in the meaning of the two constructs?
(Not in their implementations, but in their meaning as given by the
relevant specifications.  Implementations are interesting and useful,
but can be in error, even when they are trying to implement the spec.
And of course Web browsers aren’t always trying to implement
the specs.)