Re: [xml-dev] xml:base and fragments

> On May 8, 2017, at 10:31 PM, Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:
>
> On 08/05/17 21:26, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>> On 5/8/2017 2:51 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:
>>> I am clearly missing something here: why are people using #fragment
>>> identifiers in XML (non-XHTML/HTML5) documents (eg TEI)?
>>
>> I'm not sure it's as complete an answer as you want, but you certainly
>> can use fragment identifiers in XML.
> [snip]
>
> I'm sorry, I expressed myself badly. Yes, of course you *can* use them,
> and there are obviously special circumstances when they make sense, but
> I am increasingly seeing them used as ID/IDREF type links, especially in
> TEI, and I thought perhaps something I had missed was making this necessary.
>
> ///Peter

This is how they were used in XTM, and the work I’m doing is now distantly related to this specification, so that’s why I use them in my own work—specifically for this purpose.

Out of curiosity, and without knowing the specifics of TEI, if you wanted to reference other elements or their content directly in the same or linked documents, how else would you do this?

Cheers,

ast
--
Andrew S. Townley <ast@atownley.org>