Automatically anonymize personal data

Dear list,

I was pointed here after I posted a question to the TEI-mailing list.

I’m currently working on a TEI-conformant schema to allow various archives to encode and publish their sources in print and digitally.

The digital publications will be included in a relaunched portal at archive.nrw.de

Some of these sources – including the ones I’m working on – include personal data which in accordance with German law has to be anonymized before the material can be published.

I first thought about using already existing elements from the TEI but David Maus suggested to use an extra encoding layer and attributes in a custom namespace in order to easily adjust to changes in the law governing personal data. Those would be processed in a first step and the result would be fed into the publishing steps.

D. Maus was also the one who suggested to ask here, too, because some of you might have had similar challenges.

I’ll be thankful for any suggestions.

Kind regards,

M.Wingerath

Landesarchiv Nordrhein-Westfalen