Re: [xml-dev] Modern talking

On Sun, 2017-08-27 at 12:15 +0000, Hans-Juergen Rennau wrote:

[...]
> G: Not bad. I notice you use extension functions defined by BaseX,
> not part of the official standard.K: That's right.G: So when will the
> next version of the standard be out, to make such things possible in
> a purely standards-based way?K: There won't be a next version of the
> standard.G: Wait a minute - if XQuery gives us a radically new way of
> thinking information in a unified way - is this not like a road on
> which we have hardly begun to walk?
> K: (Gets up.) This you should ask the W3C.

Well, i like conversations on a beach. There's now strong medical
evidence that people think more clearly without shoes. :-)

i can't give you an official answer on behalf of W3C, but i can tell
you the simple reality: we only get three or four people turning up to
XQuery meetings, and the Working Group doesn't have resources to get
more than errata done.  If we could find maybe thirty or a hundred
people, from a dozen or more organizations that are W3C Members or
might join, to pay for the work and to show that the work would be of
wide applicability, yes, we'd happily charter new work.

One way to get new work done is to make a W3C community group, which
needs a proposer and then at least four more people to sign up; if the
community group is active and produces an initial draft or some ideas,
and there's strong implementer interest, we can either start a Working
Group or hold a public Workshop to assess interest.

The people who write the specs are from outside W3C, they are
essentially volunteers, so if there's no-one playing music on the
bandstand, get an orchestra together.

Best,

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, XQuery WG

Web slave for http://www.fromoldbooks.org/