Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema complex type restriction

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Webb Roberts <webb@webbroberts.com> wrote:

That said, I feel that JSON-LD has really threaded the needle between JSON and RDF, turning something that's fairly underspecified into something incredibly useful. We're getting some push-back from people who are skittish about using JSON-LD, even though it has zero effects on easy cases, and provides some incredibly useful capabilities.

Wouldn't a reason for that skittishness be things like this

https://github.com/NIEM/Movement/issues/25

which caught somebody out because the fact that you can't use complex types in JSON exchanges was hidden away in the small print of the fanfare of the NIEM for JSON announcement.

Looking at the NIEM Conformance specification it states

In general, NIEM specifies that an IEPD conforms to NIEM under the following conditions:

  • If an existing NIEM component matches the business semantics required by the IEPD, then that component is used by the IEPD, either directly or as the basis for derived components. That is, the IEPD does not unnecessarily duplicate NIEM components.
So I'm baffled as to how an exchange can be NIEM conformant if it  prohibits the the inclusion of any complex types. Has there been a quiet redefinition of conformance to accomodate this limitation of JSON. Don't you think that would be a bit disturbing if it has?

Now most (all?) of the elements in core NIEM inherit from types in the structures namespace. For example structures:complexObjectType  carries the id and metadata attributes that core NIEM elements inherit and use for metadata and cross  referencing.

Given that  I am perplexed as to how JSON Schema can specify a NIEM exchange when it doesn't support inheritance.