Re: [xml-dev] @xml-base in subtrees included (a) via entity expansion, and (b) via xi:include

> Given that you are looking aside at the location information in order to
> identify the correct base URI in case (B), I suspect that you would be
> able to calculate the correct base URI in case C if you were to set feature
> http://apache.org/xml/features/xinclude/fixup-base-uris to false.

At this point we unfortunately have to consider a variety of scenarios

(a) Saxon is in charge, it selects and configures the parser and way it likes

(b) The user in is charge, all Saxon gets to do is process SAX events from an unknown source.

> I would be tempted to lobby the Xerces team for some extension
> property to signal that a given node is a top-level node in an
> external entity, or a top-level node in an XIncluded node set.
> Or a base-URI property …  But perhaps that ship has sailed.

Yes, I think there's a new release of Xerces about once a decade.

> Does this problem present itself only in the SAX interface, or also
> in the DOM interface?

DOM is a lost cause when it comes to this kind of thing. The DOM doesn't do base URI.

Michael Kay
Saxonica