Re: [xml-dev] When maxOccurs=1 means an unbounded number of occurrences is valid

I would disagree only with your initial interpretation: I think minOccurs=1 - I think 'exactly' trumps 'MAY'.

It struck me as being thoroughly ambiguous, but perhaps if we had more context it would become more clear.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

The RFC says that Name must occur *1 times, where *1 is defined as “Exactly one instance MAY be present.” I interpret that to mean minOccurs=0 and maxOccurs=1.