Re: [xml-dev] References to unparsed entities

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com> wrote:

Section 4.4.9 states:

"The following ... constitute fatal errors: the appearance of a reference to an unparsed entity, except in the EntityValue in an entity declaration."

Section 4.4.9 states:

"It is an error for a reference to an unparsed entity to appear in the EntityValue in an entity declaration."

Why don't these contradict each other?

Because they apply in mutually exclusive circumstances.  Outside an entity declaration, a reference to an unparsed entity is a fatal error that must be detected and reported.  Inside an entity declaration, it is merely an error, which may or may not be detected and, if detected, may or may not be reported.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  —Groucho Marx

--
 John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths