Re: [xml-dev] Was OOXML's problem that it should have used JSON not XML?

No, I don't think encoding this stuff in JSON rather than XML would have made it one iota more accessible. The problem is that it was designed bottom-up rather than top-down: it offers what's easiest for the implementation to deliver, not what is most convenient for the users to digest.

We've done the same thing with the SEF format which dumps the internal expression tree produced by the Saxon compiler - the XML (and in the next version, the JSON) is a dump of an internal data structure, and it's not what we would have designed if it were intended as a public standard. It's full of the little inconsistencies that arise when things grow organically, for example QNames being represented in different ways in different places. And the problem is compounded of course by the fact that once you make the data structure persistent, it becomes harder still to change.

Michael Kay
Saxonica