Re: [xml-dev] {mark} - a new simple notation that unifies JSON andXML

Just to elaborate a bit more on the issue:

Imagine element <price currency="USD">5.00</price> goes through a transformation process to give some output:

  • should it be {span 'Price' ':' ' ' 'USD' '$' 5.00 null ''}, i.e. keep the items as they are without normalization?
  • or should it be {span 'Price: USD $5.00'}, i.e. normalized as in XML/HTML/Mark (with numbers and booleans converted into string, null value removed, and string merged, ...)

Content normalization is a process common in HTML/XML, people/developer must be already used to it, e.g. when using XSLT/XQuery.
If we throw away content normalization, people/developer might feel awkward, and might be prone to error, as developer might already be assuming on content normalization.

So the question is: should we stay with XML/HTML's content normalization process? or should we go with the more orthogonal approach?

One more possibility is to leave it to the user, i.e. take in a parameter during parsing/content construction, whether to normalize the content or not.
But again, giving such an option without enforcing a convention, could lead to confusion.

Current Mark's thinking is that: if your usecase needs a generic array, put it in property, if your usecase needs a mixed content model, put it in object content.
It might not be ideal, but probably more practical.

Anyone, any further thoughts?

Regards

Henry