Re: [xml-dev] Infinity

> I'm fairly sure the set of real numbers has a larger cardinality than the
> integers (I say this with some diffidence, though, since I've never covered
> this formally, so I'm basing this on a mixture of incidental reading and
> Wikipedia).

Yes Norman,

Here is what Wilipedia says about this at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinality

"One of Cantor's most important results was that the cardinality of the continuum ({\displaystyle {\mathfrak {c}}}) is greater than that of the natural numbers ({\displaystyle \aleph _{0}}); that is, there are more real numbers R than whole numbers N. (see Cantor's diagonal argument or Cantor's first uncountability proof)."

I hope that no mathematician is reading this forum ...

Cheers,
Dimitre

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM, Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

> Peter, hello.
>
> On 3 Mar 2018, at 22:05, Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 7:33 AM Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk>
>>

>>> It will be, but since there are as many elements in that set as there
>>> are positive integers (they can be put into a one-to-one
>>> correspondence), it is no bigger or smaller an infinity than the number
>>> of integers.  In contrast, the number of real numbers is a 'larger
>>> infinity' than the number of integers.  If you wish to further explore
>>> this rabbit hole, see <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleph_number> and
>>> work outwards...
>>

>> Actually no, and thankfully the Wikipedia page gets this right. Integers
>> and reals are both of cardinality Aleph naught. The easiest way to
>> conceptualize this equivalence is to think of them both as being mappable
>> to a set of points on a line.
>

> I'm fairly sure the set of real numbers has a larger cardinality than the
> integers (I say this with some diffidence, though, since I've never covered
> this formally, so I'm basing this on a mixture of incidental reading and
> Wikipedia).
>
> (By the way, I take it that we are both taking 'real number' to mean the
> mathematical reals rather than floating point numbers -- Liam touches on
> this).
>
> The Wikipedia page I quoted [1] mentions that \aleph_1 is the cardinality of
> the ordinal numbers, and explicitly states that 'The cardinality of the set
> of real numbers [...] is 2^{\aleph_0}' (and goes on to imply that this is
> indeed larger than \aleph_0 given certain hypotheses).
>
> Also, Cantor's diagonal argument [2] explicitly shows (if I recall and
> understand it correctly) that there is no one-to-one correspondence between
> the integers and the reals.  That is, although the integers can indeed be
> mapped to a set of a points on a real line, they can be mapped only to a
> _subset_ of those points, and in any such mapping there will be points on
> the real line which do not correspond to an integer.
>
> There's a one-to-one correspondence from integers to rationals, and to the
> set of algebraic numbers (the set of solutions to polynomials), so both of
> those sets are of cardinality \aleph_0.  The latter set of course excludes
> the transcendental numbers, but I don't _think_ the main point depends
> directly on the existence or not of transcendental numbers.
>
> There are a number of subtleties here which I would be reluctant to speak
> confidently about, but I think the main statement ('more reals than
> integers') stands.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Norman
>

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleph_number
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor's_diagonal_argument
>
> --
> Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
> SUPA School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
Never fight an inanimate object
-------------------------------------
biggest mistake of all
You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what you're doing is work or play
Typing monkeys will write all Shakespeare's works in 200yrs.Will they write all patents, too? :)
Sanity is madness put to good use.