Re: [xml-dev] use of JSON instead of XML

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:
On 26/06/18 13:04, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
[...]
> Because they are not just saying we want to use JSON for the stuff
> we need to do, they want everybody to use it and they implement this
> by deliberately not supporting alternative formats on the way in and
> on the way out.
Yes, imposing it on every project that passes under their bridge,
regardless of suitability, is becoming a major problem.  There is a
growing intolerance among the hardline JSON-heads that says that all
data is just going to have to be shoe-horned into JSON because that's
the way of the future, and all the other formats can just go and get lost.

I wonder where I heard that before? :-)

This is where we start straying into false equivalence territory.

Depends whether one thinks you should equate pushing something that may be over-engineered for the task but is capable of being simplified with pushing something that is too simple for many of the areas where it's exclusivity is being touted.

Then there is attitude. RDF/XML for example where just about nobody in the community disputes there are better alternatives for serialising RDF.