Re: [xml-dev] Is the XML Schema for XML Digital Signatures needed?

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 16:58 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Let me try the following argument on you. Please tell me if there are
> flaws in my argument.

[...]
> Because digital signature tools won't work if an XML Digital
> Signature is not properly constructed. XML Digital Signatures are
> implicitly validated by digital signature tools. Therefore, the XML
> Schema for XML Digital Signature is not needed.

The document says in the introduction, [[
More specifically, this specification defines an XML signature element
type and an XML signature application; conformance requirements for
each are specified by way of schema definitions and prose respectively.
]]

So the schema is part of the specification.

Maybe you are asking whether software that validates signatures must
read and use that XML Schema? No, but it must conform to it.

Liam