Re: [xml-dev] Advantages/disadvantages of extremely simple XML designs

Nice thoughts, Dimitre.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi

Sent from gmail for Android

On Sun 12 Aug, 2018, 9:56 AM Dimitre Novatchev, <dnovatchev@gmail.com> wrote:
 Hi Roger,

> <properties>
>     <entry key="A">A content</entry>
>     <entry key="B">B content</entry>
>     <entry key="C">C content</entry>
>     <entry key="D">D content</entry>
> </properties>
>
> Each item of metadata is represented with an <entry> element. The “key” attribute contains the name of the metadata item, and the value of the <entry> element contains the value of the metadata item.
>
> What are the advantages and disadvantages of this type of XML design?

The above is equivalent to using a (typeless) hash-table (key =>
object) -- not a typed Dictionary<K,V>, so one can translate the
question to comparing strongly-typed with weakly-typed programming.

In a hash-table one can put any type of object, even such objects
whose type and existence were not anticipated at design time. This
gives the feeling of freedom, flexibility, extensiblity.

This can be useful for a simple and universal store, that doesn't have
to know anything about the stored data -- still an useful
functionality to have in some cases. Also, if we are in the middle of
a project and we encounter new types of objects that we don't
understand completely, we can "temporarily" store them in a
hash-table, and delay the moment we will deal with them until we need
to, and know more about these objects.

Beside these properties, an advantage is the fact that having no
constraints makes everything easily/immediately storable and gives us
the ability to interpret the same object in more than one way. So we
can change our code that gives type and meaning to such an object,
without having to change its storage mechanism, thus achieving more
flexibility.

One disadvantage is the effort and additional (run) time to
load/convert/deserialize such anonymously-typed objects into
specifically typed ones -- or in other words, to implement dynamic
typing.
Another obvious disadvantage is that the code that deals with such
anonymous objects will have low
readability/understandability/maintainability. Such representation
should be used only at a very low level of a layered system.
Yet another disadvantage is that much less optimization and
compile-time error - raising are possible with dynamic typing. So
expect to have more run-time errors... and repeated time to deal with
these on many occasions. Also expect using the anonymously-typed
objects to consume significantly more processing time than if these
were strongly-typed.

Personally, weak typing is too universal for my taste -- I prefer to
call the object types with their most appropriate names and in their
natural problem domain / context.

Cheers,
Dimitre

--