Re: [xml-dev] Was there a technical issue for the demise of XML 1.1?

At 2018-10-09 12:54 +0100, Rhodri James wrote:
On 08/10/18 23:56, John Cowan wrote:
It was a collection of fixes to XML 1.0 none of which was in itself
sufficiently compelling to justify a new and incompatible version.  The
feature I considered the most important, ditching Unicode 2.0 in favor of
an evolving set of characters for element and attribute names (as well as
the values of non-CDATA attributes), was incorporated into the 5th Edition
of XML 1.0.
That's actually problematic all by itself. Parsers have no way of telling from the data they've been presented which characters are valid.
True, but there is the character repertoire standard ISO/IEC 19757-7 CREPDL (a sibling to 19757-3 Schematron and 19757-2 RELAX-NG) where you can declare and validate the characters that are allowed to be in an XML document.

I believe there are free implementations of this specification available, though I've never gone looking myself.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/ |
Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training class @ US$45 (5 hours free) |