Re: [xml-dev] XML timeline

Hi, Rick!

I thought you'd figured it out - the average life expectancy of a programmer before they get booted upstairs to management (or out to consulting) is about a decade. Most programmers also tend, once out of college, to educate themselves primarily by taking whatever they studied as the latest thing in college and what happens to be most available in the tech press and or Internet copy and paste of the time, and work with that as their default toolset. I learned XML in its infancy and developed a pretty solid understanding of it just about the time that Doug Crockford came along with JSON, and even argued with Doug a few times over the years about why JSON was such a bad idea. I still think it is, even as I spend most of my time working with it and cursing the limitations that it brings, even as my XQuery gets rusty. Of course, now I'm in RDF land, and there are times when I wonder when it all got so bloody complicated.

Kurt Cagle
Founder, Semantical LLC