Re: [xml-dev] Why embed a fake comment inside an element?

An XML processor is allowed to ignore incoming comments in its processing.

https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#dt-comment
an XML processor may, but need not, make it possible for an application to retrieve the text of comments.
Wrapping it in CDATA will mean the processor won't recognize it as a comment because it is a string, the processor will preserve the CDATA, will emit the text, and the resulting text would be interpreted as a comment by a downstream processor.

No risk of losing the data on input.

That's my guess ... I've not seen this done before, myself. Interesting.

. . . . . Ken