Re: [xml-dev] SGML SEEALSO Parameter

It's indeed somewhat nebulous, and consulting The SGML Handbook
doesn't help either ;) but my guess would be that APPINFO can contain
some string that's passed to "the application" to switch some global
per-doc behavior not otherwise represented in a DTD, LPD, or PI; or at
least that's what I take away from old OmniMark docs
(<http://developers.omnimark.com/documentation/v3r1a/doc/eum27/html/chap14.htm>).

Whereas SEEALSO contains zero or more public identifiers
(specifically, so not just quoted strings/minimum literals) stating
that some additional requirements (hence the name of the grammar
production) are expected to be met for a doc to which that SGML decl
applies, and which can't be represented otherwise. In the case of the
SGML declaration for XML 1.0 (up until fourth ed.) these addtional
requirements include that names must not begin with [Xx][Mm][Ll], that
#PCDATA is only valid as the first token in a content model
declaration (yet can appear anywhere in a respective content model
instance), etc. etc. as exhaustively enumerated in
<https://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-sgml-xml-971215/>.

And while I agree with your interpretation that "not characterizable
by WebSGML without the use of the SEEALSO capability" should mean "not
generally SGML-parseable" in this context, actually what Annex K says
is that additional requirements must not contradict SGML requirements: