Re: [xml-dev] What is the relationship between transforming, mapping,and filtering?

The term "mapping" is generally used to mean an operation in which the same function f(x) is applied to every item x in some set (or sequence) of items X.

The term "filtering" is generall used to mean an operation in which some predicate (boolean function) f(x) is applied to every item x in some set of items X, such that x is included in the result if f(x) is true, and excluded if it is false. Filtering using a function p(x) is equivalent to mapping using the function (if (p(x)) then x else ()).

I'm not aware of any mathematically precise use of the term "transformation". An XSLT transformation is of course a function from input documents to output documents.

Michael Kay
Saxonica