Re: [xml-dev] What does it mean to say that XML was over-engineered?

I couldn't agree more, Rick.

What I'm seeing at work here is a form of bitter personal disappointment coming from an XML-centric viewpoint expecting the world to bow to XML for each and every information serialization task. And much like in a frustrating love affair, participants take incidental events for guidance, seeing those as contributions to an academic discourse, when in reality the invention of JSON was just an ultra-practical trick based on _javascript_ object literal syntax, eval(), and the utter need for compact _javascript_ code in early-2000 web pages.

SGML is an authoring and delivery format for digital text, no more, no less. Web Service payload serialization using SGML/XML only makes sense with thin browser frontends merely decorating, filtering, or remapping internal to presentation vocabulary, a thing we don't do much anymore, and CSS can do for us in limited forms anyway. XML with XSD also happens to be very useful for highly structured file formats and information exchanges.

But for actual authoring, encoding, and delivering text, SGML is already the Alpha and Omega of markup, bar none. Not only is its value as delivery format demonstrated day-in day-out in billions of web page accesses, it also also has actual solutions for text authoring tasks for everybody, such as being able to interpret plain ASCII text with just newlines and tabs into canonical angle-bracket markup (= XML).

Best Regards,
Marcus