Re: [xml-dev] What does it mean to say that XML was over-engineered?

On 17/09/2021 12:51, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> DTDs don't really bother me. Internal DTD subsets are where the
> problems arise. If we had stuck to external DTDs that were only
> optionally processed and predefined all the HTML entity references,
> a lot of problems would go away. Also minimal parsers would be much
> simpler and possibly faster.  Processing instructions maybe aren't
> needed but don't cause a huge amount of problems.

I come from the other end. DTDs are critical infrastructure for many
publishers, and subsets of the structure are used by invoking a spell in
the internal subset. None of the ones I deal with use any entity
references these days other than the five defined for XML, with a tiny
handful of exceptions. PIs are very much needed, but I am happy to hear
they cause no problems for others.

> Namespaces are necessary but almost certainly could have been done
> better.

The first time I heard about them I thought they were going to do
something quite different¹. I don't have a particular problem with them:
when using someone else's schema they're basically just a tedious excise.

Peter
--
¹ What I had imagined — very short-lived — was that the URI of a
namespace would resolve to a schema from which the declaration of an