Re: [xml-dev] How long before services sending/receiving XML mightneed replacement?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 1:42 PM Marcus Reichardt <u123724@gmail.com> wrote:
And btw, UML has been on the decline as well

Not in US Govt IT it isn't.

The flaw is in extrapolating the behavior of entities that are not in the business of working with complex data models to the behavior of those who are.

My intention of comparing UML with XML, was not to draw any technology similarities between these two technologies. I think that, UML and XML are unrelated technologies.

I guess that, to model complex OO applications, many people instead of using UML, use things like free form diagrams, flow charts etc. The disadvantage of that many times is, that, people invent their own notational conventions (like, what an arrow within a diagram means) for a particular task (which they often explain, with supplementary documentation). For that reason, its useful to use notations like UML to model complex OO applications, because that is an OMG standard.

You're on the ball Mukul.

You cannot simply isolate the data format. You have to look at the impact replacing it would have on the technical infrastructure surrounding it.