Isn’t that on an assumption that the data is persisted in the format it was exchanged? Wouldn’t it be more likely that the exchange format will be transient, deleted immediately it has been deserialised?

Regards
Stephen Green

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 at 03:10, Jim DeLaHunt <list+xml-dev@jdlh.com> wrote:

Stephen:

Your question below frames the choice as about serialisation options ("is there more reason to serialize it as XML or as another format"). I would instead frame the choice as about what kind of information artifact do you want to have: a pile of information encoded using XML, or using CSV, or using JSON?  I would make that choice in part with an eye to how long will that pile of information persist, and what someone might want to do with it 20 or 30 years in the future.

What I take from the conversation on this list is that if the information is encoded using the right XML language (and schema etc.) then it will be a more comprehensible, re-usable, and thus more valuable asset in future decades with future systems, than will be the same information encoded as CSV, or worse yet, JSON. I could be wrong about that. I'm not an expert.

But I do think that it matters how you frame the choice.

    —Jim DeLaHunt

On 2021-11-12 04:58, Stephen D Green wrote:
Given that systems typically hold data in some kind of code model before it is serialized to a final character encoded format required by the government such as XML, CSV (yes, right) or JSON, is there more reason to serialize it as XML or as another format such as CSV or JSON? Or is serialization to JSON so commonplace that there is little reason to look any further if given the choice? I could understand it if serialization to JSON poses a problem when the government puts necessary constraints on that JSON. Is the understanding of the practicalities of the possibilities for constraining the final, transferred data/document a reason to stick with XML? UTF-*, escaping, choices of alternatives in the text syntax, etcetera?