Re: [xml-dev] Help with XML anti pattern

Norman, I agree XML is not appropriate for name/value pairs, but I worry your criticisms are misplaced.

If the context is such that there is a set of key-value pairs being serialised in this way, for in-principle arbitrary keys, then the conclusion may be that XML is a poor way of doing this serialisation.
Rather, name/value pairs are a poor choice of information representation when using XML.

The requirement to use UBL ISO/IEC 19845 XML is not a "choice for the serialization of name/value pairs" but is imposed in many jurisdictions worldwide for the arm's-length exchange of serialized semantic business objects of information between trading partners. The governance of the international networks mandating UBL would not and do not consider JSON as fit for purpose.

So the original poster is obliged to use XML and is asking for the best way to use the XML. I believe the original poster is not asking for alternative serialization syntaxes.

Use JSON instead (cf the discussion on this list in the last few weeks).
I believe JSON is inappropriate for arm's-length international semantic content interchange and belongs only in tight bindings within systems that are entirely under the control of the programmer.

UBL is used between disparate systems, with different internal representations of the semantic content, and so XML is the ideal syntax for bridging those systems. XML imposes no internal memory representation of the content because users process the XML and populate their own choices of internal representation.

My opinion on this is captured here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/horses-courses-perspective-xml-vs-json-discussion-ken-holman

One might observe that the committee bowed to the community requesting a JSON serialization of UBL, and the committee delivered it ... but no-one I know of is actually using it. No governance would permit it. And, technically, the JSON serialization has no UBL extension point because of the lack of a JSON schema wild card validation constraint.

I think this is quite a good example of XML not being the right answer for every problem, and indeed this is the sort of solution that gives XML a bad name.
I feel your conclusion is misplaced.

The UBL extension point scaffolding is designed for containing the XML representation of semantic content not standardized by the UBL committee. It is up to users to choose what structures to put into the UBL extension point as it is out of scope for the UBL committee. I hate when it is used poorly, but the committee created it for open use by users and this is good evidence of it being used poorly. And so I worry your conclusion is focused on the use of XML syntax being a bad choice rather than the use of structures chosen within the XML being a bad choice. The bad information design shouldn't govern the syntax choice ... the design should be fixed.

I would rephrase your paragraph as: I think this is quite a good example of a poorly-chosen structure for the given syntax serialization.

Disclaimer: take my words with a grain of salt because I am the editor of the UBL Standard, the designer of the UBL extension point scaffolding, and the author of the UBL JSON serialization. But I welcome others to make their observations regarding your post.