Re: [xml-dev] It's too late to improve XML ... lessons learned?

Some features of XML (most notably XML entities) could have
been removed from XML 1.0.  But I do not think that entities
(with the exception of internal parsed entities) have caused
significant problems.

I think the security concerns over external parsed entities are probably one of the major factors that have led people to seek alternatives to XML.

In addition, DTDs and entities are an interoperability headache because many XML parsers chose not to implement that part of the spec,