Re: [xml-dev] It's too late to improve XML ... lessons learned?

Why look for improvements in the process of standardisation?
We all know the received wisdom.
“Give them the third best to go on with; the second best comes too late, the best never comes.”
Or in other words, the perfect is the enemy of the good.
You reach a point where everyone prefers something now, rather than to wait longer for something better which might never come. Diminishing returns. A painter could forever keep adding extra brush strokes to the masterpiece but at some point has to stop and say “finished”.

Now that XML exists, there is no driver for anything better. JSON was a happy accident so that does not count. It is good to have two alternatives like it is good to sow wheat in one field and barley in another in case the wheat fails over time. Having two choices is safer, even though it requires more to support both. A civilisation can fail by only sowing wheat, then along comes soil salination and then increasing crop failure. Something might happen to make either XML or JSON obsolete and then there might be enough reason to look for an improvement, but until then two imperfect standards that exist are better than in-progress standards nearing perfection but never getting finished.

But in my opinion, it is still good to aim for perfection every time, just for the virtue of it, knowing it will never be achieved but traction and sanction are improved if it is recognised that perfection was the goal.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 at 17:44, Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
Michael Kay wrote:

> we've learnt as a community that trying to improve XML
> doesn't work: the standard is too deeply embedded.

Yes, I can see that. On this very list there have been several attempts to improve XML and none of the attempts gained much traction.

So what is the lesson to be learned from this? How about this:

        When creating a new standard, get it right in its
        first version because if the standard is a success
        you likely won't get a chance to improve it later on.

Is that the lesson to be learned? If so, how to ensure that you "get it right"? For instance, what could the XML Working Group have done differently to get it right? Should the XML Working Group have delayed the release of the XML standard for a year or two until a sizeable group of people had had the opportunity to work with XML and report on its warts?

/Roger