Re: [xml-dev] Why is terseness of minimal importance?

I admit to not really understand the terseness quote in the XML context, and I'd really appreciate someone's explanation "from the source".

I've come to understand it as dropping the "non-canonical/non-XML" forms of tags and attributes SGML affords as markup minimization, such as tag inference and attribute shortforms, plus allowing end-element tags on elements with declared content EMPTY (was at some time vehemently argued as not a mimimization feature by Goldfarb I believe), requiring entity references to be terminated by ";" even when not followed by a namechar, slightly stricter PI markup, plus everything else requiring a DTD or SGML declaration.

Though I find the feature Michael mentioned - requiring end-element tags to contain the end-element rather than just allowing "</>" as in SGML - to be particularly redundant in a markup language not having CONCUR or other overlapping-markup feature.

Marcus Reichardt
sgml.io