Re: [xml-dev] Why does XML call them "attributes" and not name-value pairs?

> The attribute takes up exactly the same amount of memory as the
> element.

Not true!

I ran a small C# program that shows the sizes of a bare (just created) XmlDocument, XmlElement and XmlAttribute.

Here are the results:

an XmlDocument: 3176 bytes

an XmlElement: 656 bytes

an XmlAttribute: 152 bytes.

Thus an XmlElement takes more than 4 times the memory that an XmlAttribute takes.

So, when memory is important (and it almost always is!), converting elements to attributes can significantly reduce the memory footprint of an XML processing application.

P.S.
These results may vary for different XML DOM implementations, but I expect them to be similar -- maybe other people could share their results?

Here is the code I used:

using System;
using System.Xml;

class Program
{
    static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        var mem1 = GC.GetTotalMemory(true);
        var doc = new XmlDocument();
        var mem2 = GC.GetTotalMemory(true);
        var elem = doc.CreateElement("x");
        var mem3 = GC.GetTotalMemory(true);
        var attr = doc.CreateAttribute("y");
        var mem4 = GC.GetTotalMemory(true);
        Console.WriteLine($"XmlDocument: {mem2 - mem1} bytes");
        Console.WriteLine($"XmlElement: {mem3 - mem2} bytes");
        Console.WriteLine($"XmlAttribute: {mem4 - mem3} bytes");
    }
}

And here is the result:

XmlDocument: 3176 bytes