Re: [xml-dev] Best practice for XSD enumeration values?

Firstly, I think you can only assess whether a design is good or bad if you know what the design objectives are, and we don't.

Secondly, if there's an established and well-defined terminology in common use in the application domain, then use it.

Third, the problem here to my eyes is not the "wordiness" of the values, it's the fact that you're packing multiple attributes of an airport into one property. Decompose it: is the airport civil or military or both, is it active or dormant, does it have permanent runways or not. Once you decompose it, you will naturally end up with simple keywords for the values of the properties.

In the UK I understand there are four types of charity:

	• charitable incorporated organisation (CIO)
	• charitable company (limited by guarantee)
	• unincorporated association
	• trust

If this is what the law says, and these are the names in the legislation, and there are no well-established abbreviations, then I think it would be reasonable to use them as the enumeration values for a "type-of-charity" attribute, despite the fact that they are wordy. But if there are commonly-used abbreviations, then I would use those in preference. And perhaps use "CIO" for the first one, since an abbreviation is defined - but that needs thought, because the abbreviation might be ambiguous to some users.

Michael Kay
Saxonica