Re: [xml-dev] Language design, orthogonality, paternalism, bad rules,and elephant traps

If three properties of an object (say colour, weight, and cost) are completely independent of each other, so none of them is a function of the others, then the object exists in a three-dimensional space whose axes/dimensions are colour, weight, and cost, and these axes/dimensions are "at right angles" to each other in this three-dimensional space.

So two properties of an object are orthogonal if, in effect, all combinations of the values of the two properties are possible.

So we can say, for most modern programming languages, that the names of variables are orthogonal to their type - there's no dependence of one property on the other.

For XPath nodes, node name and node kind are NOT orthogonal properties; the node kind constrains what the name of the node can be.

I suspect that corresponds to the "inner product equal to zero" meaning, but it's 50 years since I did any vector algebra...

Michael Kay
Saxonica