Re: [xml-dev] Many different syntaxes in XML - is that good languagedesign?

> On 7 Mar 2022, at 10:14 pm, Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
>
> Dealing with lots of different syntaxes is hard. For example, I never remember the syntax for CDATA sections (in fact, I had to look it up just now).

A counter-point to this is that dealing with clearly differentiated syntaxes makes recognising them much simpler, and thereby more reliable - which makes the parsers easier to construct.

It can also feel like less “magic incantations” to the user - ie, fewer small, apparently arbitrary syntax variations, which makes it simpler to know which particular syntax to use for each particular type of document construct.