Re: [xml-dev] To avoid confinement to a niche, handle a diversityof data formats

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:54:26 +0000
Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> "the web is a heterogeneous place, and any technology that fails to handle a
> diversity of data formats is by definition confined to a niche."
>
> [What about XSLT, can it handle a diversity of data formats?]
>
> "XSLT 2.0 added significant capabilities to transform text (using regular
> expressions); the EXPath initiative has added function libraries to process
> binary data; and the support for JSON in XSLT 3.0 continues this trend. XSLT
> will always be primarily a language for transforming XML, but to do this job
> well it needs to be capable of doing other things as well."
>
> [I.e., XSLT can process these data formats: XML, text, binary, JSON. That's a
> pretty good collection of data formats.]
>
> -- Michael Kay, last paragraph of section 1 in
> https://www.saxonica.com/papers/xmlprague-2016mhk.pdf

Hi.

I've written about similar issues here:

* https://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/why_xml.xhtml

* https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/web/choice-of-docs-formats/

	-- Shlomi

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://is.gd/MQHVF3 - The Atom Text Editor edits a 2,000,001B file

Between truth and the search for truth, I opt for the second.
    — Bernard Berenson (Unsourced via fortune-mod)