Re: [xml-dev] Are there invariants in XML processing?

Hi Ken,

What is an invariant?

I will first give an example of an invariant and then a definition.

Example: Suppose you are working on a very old computer that does not support integer division. You are writing a program that, among other things, needs to divide x by y. Your program wants the quotient q and the remainder r. For example, if x = 7 and y = 2, then q = 3 and r = 1 (two goes into seven three times with a remainder of one).

One way to solve this division problem is through repeated subtraction. Store a copy of x into t ("t" for temp). Keep subtracting y from t until t is less than y.

So there is a loop. Before the loop q is initialized to zero and each time through the loop q is incremented by 1. When the loop is completed q has the quotient and whatever remains in t is the remainder r.

Here's the cool thing: every time the loop is executed this expression must hold true:

    x = q * y + t

Further, that expression must hold true before the loop is executed, at the start of the loop, at the end of the loop, and after the loop.

So we can pepper the code with this assertion:

    assert(x = q * y + t)

At any point, if the assertion fails, then there is a bug in the code.

In XSLT the assertion would be expressed as:

    <xsl:assert test="$x = $q * $y + $t" />

The expression (the relation) that must always hold true is called an "invariant."

Definition: an invariant is an expression/relation that must hold true throughout the course of processing.

How do invariants differ from constraints?

An XML Schema specifies a set of constraints. We may write an XML Schema for the input data and validate the input against the XML Schema. That is a static, before run-time, check on the input data. During processing the input data likely will be changed, twisted, contorted, and no longer conform to the XML Schema.

So the constraints expressed in an XML Schema are static constraints. The constraint/relation expressed by an invariant is a dynamic constraint/relation.

At least, that's how I think of it. I hope others will correct any errors I may have made and add additional insights.

/Roger