Re: [xml-dev] RE: The limits of XML mean the limits of my data world

On 29/05/2022 20:07, Roger L Costello wrote:
Peter wrote:

overlap can be expressed but not represented
I am not clear what you mean by "overlap".
The classic example of overlap is when a string you want to mark up (eg a whole sentence, or a quotation in direct speech) occurs split over two or more elements of a containing structure (eg verses of a religious text, or lines of a poem or play), or divided by some other text (eg "quoth he" in the example here):

A’ was a merry man—took up the child:
“Yea,” quoth he, “dost thou fall upon thy face?
Thou wilt fall backward when thou hast more wit;
Wilt thou not, Jule?” and, by my holidame,
The pretty wretch left crying and said “Ay.”

[Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet, 1.3:44]

If you mark the lines in the conventional manner:

<l>A’ was a merry man—took up the child:</l>
<l>“Yea,” quoth he, “dost thou fall upon thy face?</l>
<l>Thou wilt fall backward when thou hast more wit;</l>
<l>Wilt thou not, Jule?” and, by my holidame,</l>
<l>The pretty wretch left crying and said “Ay.”</l>

how can you also mark the quoted passages that split over lines?

Jeni Tenison said “Overlap is arguably the main remaining problem area for markup technologists.” [blog, 2008-12-06], and there have been dozens if not hundreds of papers, essays, and blogs about the different ways people have found to [partially] solve the problem.

Peter