Re: [xml-dev] Is XML a "data structure"?

No, XML isn't an in-memory data structure as referred to in that book. Rather, an XML instance is a serialization of data/text, and XML, broadly speaking, is a system of rules to describe the grammar of such serialization. XML markup declarations can be optionally used to validate a sequence of content events generated by parsing such serialization from generic rules, whereas SGML markup declarations, in addition, can be required to drive parsing of such serialization (namely, if the serialization isn't in canonical/fully-tagged XML form, or uses attribute shortforms or other markup minimization).

Best,
Marcus
sgml.io