Re: [xml-dev] Equivalence of hierarchical and flat data formats

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:02:06 +0000
Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> XML is a hierarchical data format. Can flat formats express hierarchy?
> Answer: yes A hierarchical structure may be equivalently represented in a
> flat structure. And vice versa. Why is this important? Answer: If data is in
> one form, but the tools that are most suitable and efficient require the data
> be in another form, then simply convert the data to the equivalent other
> form. Below I demonstrate the equivalence of hierarchical and flat data
> formats. 1. Equivalence of lists of data Below is a list of book data. A
> hierarchical data format (XML) is used to express the list. <books> <book>
> Aho, Ravi Sethi, Jeffrey Ullman</authors>
>     </book>
>     <book>
>         <title>Introduction to Compiling Techniques</title>
>         <authors>J. P. Bennett</authors>
>         <publisher>McGraw-Hill</publisher>
>         <date>1996</date>
>     </book>
>     <book>
>         <title>Economic Facts and Fallacies</title>
>         <authors>Thomas Sowell</authors>
>         <publisher>Basic Books</publisher>
>         <date>2011</date>
>     </book>
>     <book>
>         <title>Economics in One Lesson</title>
>         <authors>Henry Hazlitt</authors>
>         <publisher>Harper &amp; Brothers</publisher>
>         <date>1946</date>
>     </book>
> </books>

hi Roger,

I can argue that a finite stream of 0 and 1 bits is a flat data format:

https://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/why_xml.xhtml

also - why have you avoided replying to my posts?

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://is.gd/htwEXQ - Integrating GNU Guile into GNU coreutils

Ken: [to Sarah] And who are you?
Sarah: I’m Sarah Eisenman. A Jewish vampire slayer. And who are you?
Ken: …Bitch!
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Buffy/A-Few-Good-Slayers/