Re: [xml-dev] Is there a tool that converts a plain vanilla XMLdocument into an Excel document?

On 04/08/2022 16:59, Roger L Costello wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have a plain, vanilla XML document with a root element that contains a bunch of <row> elements and each <row> element contains
fields, e.g.,

<document>
<row>
<field1>ABC</field1>
<field2>DEF</field2>
<field3>GHI</field3>
</row>
</document>

To display that XML document in Excel requires a bunch of steps:
[...]
Phew! That's a lot of work to get Excel to display the XML document.
Nobody does that. At least, not that I know of.

Is there a tool that takes a plain, vanilla XML document and converts it into an Excel document?
You either write a few lines of XSLT or use one of the XML utilities, eg lxprintf (from the LTXML2 toolkit):

$ lxprintf -e row "%s,%s,%s\n" field1 field2 field3 doc.xml >doc.csv

or even the utility I wrote in 1996 (updated 2006) to do this using only the ESIS output of the onsgmls parser and a copy of awk, see http://xml.ailmaril.ie/software/xml2csv.zip

Peter