=?utf-8?B?UmU6IFt4bWwtZGV2XSBXaGF0IGlzIHRoZSDigJxzdGFuZGFyZCBmb3Jt4oCd?==?utf-8?Q?_of_data=3F?=

The Unix world also dealt with vastly less complex eco-systems, where relatively simple single-purpose components could be designed independently of each other and then effectively strung together in arbitrary pipelines that were far more sophisticated in the aggregate. Michael’s example of how this approach could not be used efficiently or effectively used to implement a much more sophisticated component such as a modern database is just one such example.

A lot of these principles are timeless at an abstract level, but when abstractions meet implementation they invariably benefit from - and, frankly, need to be - considered in their context.

Cheers,

Damian