Re: [xml-dev] Basic program structures in XSLT (was: Re: [xml-dev]Data-driven application --> the data is essentially "machine code" to theapplication, right?)

Yes, but Rick....

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 07:01, Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:

> Most basic?
>
> 1. Push versus pull.

Not enough? Why? explain these please? What's the impact of wrong choice?
When to 'break' this rule (guidance)

> 2. Event-based programming =  template matching descent default

Wozzat?
  Template match? Never heard of it.
  Descent... of what? Why default? alternatives?

> 3. XPaths 1.0 location steps, and value-of
    What, how does xpath help / cause problems?
    How used in this funny 'language'
     The real nugget of XSLT, but quite alien to procedural programmers?

> 4. If and choose
  Yep, at last, something  most will recognise recognise!
  But where is my 'repeat until'?

> 5. Rearranging and repeating things: variables,  apply-templates/@select, modes
     I'd split
        Rearranging and repeating things, again quite key (why etc...)
   variables? Oh no they're not.
       (hope apply templates explained before now)
       BIG session on select 'rules'
       modes? Another foreign language.

> Not basic: key, function, anything in xpath 2 or 3 but not in xpath 1.

+10

> In other words, developers should be trained to first use the distinctive language features before (and instead of) rushing to use generic (I.e. vanilla) functional features.

+1

Thanks Rick.

regards

--