Re: [xml-dev] Elements with explicit behavior versus elements thatcontain data used to produce behavior

Michael Kay wrote:
Consider three English sentences:

(a) There are tomatoes in the fridge.

(b) Go to the shop and buy more tomatoes.

(c) How many tomatoes are there in the fridge?

English is flexible: A sentence can provide information, give instructions, or ask questions.

XML is equally flexible.

That is excellent.

My <airport> use case is an example of (a). The <airport> element provides information. An aircraft flight management system (FMS) uses that information to fly the airplane.

My <xsl:value-of ...> use case is an example of (b). The <value-of> element is an instruction. An XSLT processor reacts to the presence of that element with a certain specific defined behavior.

What is an example of (c)? What XML asks a question?

/Roger