Re: [xml-dev] XPath 3.1 F&O spec, and HTML ASCII case insensitivecollation

(A lot of people are still using XSLT 1.0, which defines format-number() with a normative reference to JDK 1.1 documentation, which is no longer obtainable on the web, as far as I can tell.

Would that work ?
https://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall97/cs461/jdkdocs/index.html

Jean-Christophe Helary

Useful but not sufficient. XSLT 1.0 says:

The format pattern string is in the syntax specified by the JDK 1.1 DecimalFormat class. The format pattern string is in a localized notation: the decimal-format determines what characters have a special meaning in the pattern (with the exception of the quote character, which is not localized). The format pattern must not contain the currency sign (#x00A4); support for this feature was added after the initial release of JDK 1.1.

So it's clear that the spec changed even during the life of JDK 1.1, and working out exactly what's allowed and what isn't therefore needs much more than a snapshot of the documentation at 1.1.4.

Which is why we changed it in XSLT 2.0 to remove the dependency... At the time we did that, the JDK 1.1 documentation was still online. But it was still challenging, because the documentation was woefully imprecise - people implementing XSLT processors in languages other than Java had a pretty tough time.

Michael Kay
Saxonica